• 1 ½ mixed dried fruit
• 2 oz. mixed peel
• 4 oz. peanuts
• ½ bottle wine or rum (or a mixture) plus a little extra
• 8 oz. white or soft brown sugar
• 8 oz. margarine
• 6 eggs
• 8 oz. flour
• ¼ tsp baking powder
• 1 tsp mixed spice
• 1 lb. sugar
• 2 tbsp. wine
1. Wash and dry the fruits. Grind or chop fruits and nuts.
2. Make the caramel. Heat sugar and when melted add wine. Simmer until dark color is obtained.
3. Pour half the wine or rum over the fruits. Leave to soak for a day or longer (up to 3 months).
4. Grease and double line an 8 inch bake pan.
5. Cream sugar and margarine. Add eggs one at a time (beaten or unbeaten).
6. Add fruit and nuts and stir well. Add enough caramel to make it as dark as desired.
7. Sift flour, baking powder and spice together. Add a little at a time and fold in. Mix into a soft dropping consistency using wine or rum.
8. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and bake in a slow oven, 300 degrees F, for 2 hours (on middle shelf in oven).
9. Pour some of the remaining wine or rum over immediately after cake is baked. Repeat 3 or 4 times.