Fried rice has always been a dish the whole family looked forward to. I remember when i was a child we only had fried rice on special occasions and sometimes on weekends. As time passed it has become more common in households but still remains the go to meal for special occasions. Fried rice is a star by itself but also goes well as a side dish and compliments any meat well. Today, I still make this wonderful recipe for my children and they just love it.
2 Lbs Chicken Diced
3 Cups Rice
1 Tbsp Ginger (Grated or Chopped)
1/2 Tbsp Goya Sayzon Seasoning
1/2 Cup Chopped Bell Peppers(sweet peppers)
1 Tsp Black Pepper
1/2 Cup Carrots (Chopped or Grated)
1 Chopped Onion
1/2 Cup Chopped Celery Stalks
1/2 Cup Corn
1/2 Cup Chopped Scallions/Eschalot
2 Tbsp Soy Sauce
2 Tbsp Sesame Oil
4 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
Fried Rice Seasoning
1 Tbsp Sugar
1/2 Tbsp Salt
1 Cup Bora/String Beans
- Cook rice with 1/4 tbsp Sayzon Seasoning and ginger until it is loose and firm, leave to cool for about 2 hrs. (Tip – Rice can be cooked a day in advance and refrigerate to acquire a loose texture.)
- Scramble eggs and set aside.
- Heat both sesame and vegetable oil in a large pan and add chicken, black pepper, salt, remaining Goya Sayzon seasoning and soy sauce. Stir and leave to cook with occasional checking and turning until almost done.
- Taste mixture and add more salt if necessary.
- Now add onions, bora/string beans, carrots and celery sticks and let cook for another 5 minutes.
- Add Bell peppers and corn and leave to cook for another 2 to 3 minutes.
- Make sure all/most liquid is evaporated from chicken and vegetables before adding rice.
- Now add rice, fried rice seasoning, scallions/eschallot, scrambled eggs and sugar.
- Mix well and cook for another 2 to 4 minutes.
Note – other vegetables of you choice can be added (broccoli, diced pumpkin, green beans and peas)
Serves about 5 to 6 depending on portion size